Head of Pharmacy & Medicines Optimisation, Herts Valleys Clinical Commissioning Group
I lead a CCG medicines optimisation team in Herts Valleys CCG, serving a population of 650,000. We improve outcomes for patients, redesign pathways and influence medicines choices to encourage best care within prescribing.
My background is as a clinical pharmacist and independent prescriber with broad experience from a teaching hospital, academia, CCGs, the community and pharmaceutical industry.
Recent roles harness strategic skills and influencing; I have been co-opted onto national groups representing Pharmacy.
Key interests are:
- Evidence based medicine
- Using medicines to improve care, including de-prescribing
- Embedding medicines into commissioned services
- IT solutions to clinical issues
- Measuring clinical outcomes
- Workforce planning
- Leadership, coaching and staff development
- How to spread good work over a larger (STP) patch
I employ a diverse team, (dietitians, technicians, data analysts, administrators, pharmacists) who work collaboratively with clinical staff, in order to find solutions to problems and who influence key opinion leaders and stakeholders.
Medicines can change people’s lives. Key future challenges are:
- Personalising care,
- Using technology better within healthcare and
- Managing NHS resources so we can continue to deliver world class care.